More than 50% all medicines worldwide are prescribed,dispensed or sold inappropriately. 50% of patients
fail to take them correctly. Conversely, about one-third of the world population lacks access to essential medicines. Treatment with medicines is one of the most cost-effective medical interventions known and the proportion of national health budget spent on medicines ranges between 10% and 20% in developed countries and between 20 and 40% in developing countries. Thus, it is extremely serious that so much medicine is being used in an inappropriate and irrational way.
Common types of irrational use of medicine are:
1. The use of too many medicines per patient
2. Inappropriate use of antibiotics, often in inadequate dosage, for viral infections
3. Over-use of injections when oral formulations would be more appropriate;
4. Failure to prescribe in accordance with clinical guidelines;
5. Inappropriate self-medication, often of prescription-only medicines.
Poor communication between professionals and … Read More